I have been the queen of product obsession for years. The list of skincare, haircare, cosmetic brands in my aparment can go on for days! But lately I’ve revisited my once LOVE for DIY (DO IT YOURSELF) products for the skin. Don’t get me wrong, I haven’t thrown out my Mario Badescu Glycolic Foaming Cleanser, let’s not get carried away, but here’s a list of my favorite DIY products. All made in my kitchen and a surefire way to embrace an all natural living 😉
1. Daily Moisturizing Body Oil (Summer): I love a light misty oil in the Summer. You don’t want anything too heavy in the hot months but strong enough to keep the skin dewy. Mix coconut oil and rose water in a small spray bottle. This combination creates a light fragrance and keeps the body feeling fresh. If it’s solidified, place the bottle in a cup of warm water while you’re showering. It’ll be ready to spray on your damp skin shortly after.
2. Daily Moisturizing Body Butter (Winter): I mean, just talking about this makes me happy! I’m probably happier in the winter months just becuase I get to use the heavy stuff! With Winter knocking on our door, I’ll be busy for the next few months. Here you go; super easy: Mix raw shea butter, coconut oil, and almond oil in a small jar. Boom, done! This combined with an exfoliator (see #3) during the harsh winter months will have your skin feeling like a baby’s bottom!
3. Weekly Exfoliator: HELLO! Have we met? You should already know this is my favorite. My DIY Brown Sugar Scrub not only tackles dead skin cells on my dry skin, but is highly requested by my friends and family! I’m going to start CHARGING! Mix raw brown sugar, coconut oil, almond oil, jojoba oil and honey(optional) in a small jar and keep it in your shower. I can tell you from experience this is a great gift! It comes from the heart!
4. Weekly Hair Oil (Pre-Shampoo): I’m convinced that this concoction of oils makes my tresses thick and healthy. Get a bottle with a nozzle for easy application and mix grapeseed oil, sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, avacado oil, rosemary essential oil, tea tree essential oil together for a hair treatment that has you wanting more! This particular mix is for before shampooing. The rosemary scent is quite strong and isn’t recommended for everyday use. For an even deeper moisturizer, warm this mix up and create your own hot oil treatment.
5. Daily Hair Spray (For Braids, Locs, Twists): A few months ago I was sporting Senegalese Twists in my hair which I absolutely LOVED, btw. It’s important to treat my hair underneath styles like this so that it isn’t too dry and brittle. I created a daily spray that boosted the moisture up and kept my twists looking fresh. In a spray bottle, add 3 parts water and 1 part vegetable glycerin, tea tree essential oil, and jojoba oil. I LOVE THIS MIX! For natural textures, moisture is essential, regularly.
6. Daily Post-Workout Scalp Spray: So this is super important; especially when you’re in a protective hairstyle. After a workout or simply when you feel your scalp needs a little something extra without the hassle of washing, it’s crucial to freshen the scalp and keep too much buildup from happening. We all can’t wash our hair every single day so here’s a trick I do for inbetween washes. It’s simple! Mix 100% pepermint oil with a little bit of jojoba oil. Don’t overdue the jojoba; the point is to avoid buildup. What the peppermint does is breaks up the salt from the sweat on your scalp! Amazing right? It’ also gives a little tingle and cooling sensation which can feel quite refreshing after a hard workout!
7. Sugar Lip Scrub: Have you seen my lips? SOFT! LOL 🙂 Here’s the trick: Mix Brown Sugar (or white sugar) with a little bit of olive oil (you can also use coconut oil or honey) and pop it into a small jar. If you scrub your lips every other night, you’ll see a major difference! Trust me, this is an all year round essential!
I hope my list inspired you to get in the kitchen and start mixing. We love healthy skin and hair. There’s no better way to improve them than using what comes from the earth. Work on it! 😉 You know you want to! What are some of your favorite DIY skincare/haircare products? Share with us!