Most people have a solid daily makeup routine; I do! It’s something that always works. After a long day, and once the sun goes down, there are a few tweaks that I’ve made to my makeup that has brought out an evening glow. The best part is, it doesn’t require me to start from the top! What’s important to know about transitioning from day to night is to decide what you want to emphasize. Eyes, lips, or cheeks. I usually pick one and make it great! Here are my tricks!
CLEAN UP: Here’s where I correct things like smudged eye makeup or wipe away my day lip. You’ll want to fix anything you don’t want before touching up what you do! It may be a good idea to keep makeup remover wipes or q-tips in your bag to clean up any runny eyeliner. For my shiny girls, keep blot paper or powder nearby. This is the first step in getting ready for the night after a long day!
EYES: Instead of adding a coat of mascara to my lashes, which usually causes clump and a look I don’t want, I try to add a slightly heavier application of eyeliner. For some, maybe a liquid or gel will work to make your eyes pop. Since I usually wear a winged liner I add something smokey to the bottom lash line. If bold eyes are your thing, try to put on an eye shadow that is a few shades darker than your daytime shade. This Tarte Eye Shadow Palette does the trick! Make it smokey and have your lids stand out!
LIPS: Let’s say heavy eye makeup isn’t your thing. That’s ok. Go for a bold lip like the very popular MAC Ruby Woo! Or something two or three shades deeper than what you wear out during the day. It’s a small effective tweak that works! If a bolder lip always makes you happy, go a little less on the eye makeup. If your eyes are what you love to accentuate, go for a more nude shade of lipstick.
HIGHLIGHT: Some of us are all about the glow. I know I am! Keeping a great highlighter on you and applying to the high areas of your face (top of the cheekbones, tip of the nose, etc.) bring out a sparkle in your skin. This is perfect for a romantic date, drinks with the girls, or even dinner with the family. My favorite highlighter at the moment is the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector!
These are small ways to make big changes to your every day makeup. What other makeup tricks do you think women should keep in their back pocket when going out on the town after a long day? Share with me. I’d love to know!
I can’t believe we’re heading into March already! February was a true product experimentation month for me. No complaints; it’s what I love. But one particular item did stick out…
Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream stole my heart this month. I didn’t think I was a BB cream kind of gal but I’m all about it now. Here’s why: This master product saves me several steps in my daily routine. It moisturizes, primes, protects me from the rays and gives just the right amount of coverage for day time make up without doing too much! After applying it I just finish it with my favorite pressed powder and go! Even better, for a night on the town I wear this underneath my foundation and it has been a win every time! I’ve entered the BB cream revolution and I don’t think I’m going anywhere!
Are you a BB or CC cream girl? If so what’s your favorite brand and why does it work for you?
Looking for a list of “things-to-do” for your skincare? I’ve come up with some tricks to take your skin from drab to fab throughout this year. The list is short, we don’t have to overdo it, but consistency and good practice wins!
1. 8 GLASSES OF WATER A DAY: I decided to start with a hard one. Ha! It’s so important to keep your skin hydrated all year round. 8 glasses should be the goal. If it’s too much, start with 3 and work your way up. We’re not looking for perfection, but small steps can lead to beautiful, hydrated skin.
2. EXFOLIATE: This step is super important. Exfoliating once a week is a great way to get rid of dead skin cells and boost the clarity of your skin. Your face and your whole body need a good scrub now and then to bring out youthful, radiant skin. Be sure to choose something that fits your skin type. If your skin is sensitive, you want to avoid products that are too harsh.
3. SUNSCREEN: Exposure to the sun is something I feel we don’t think about regularly enough. It’s super important to make the application of sunscreen a habit. An easy way to accomplish this is by purchasing a daily moisturizer that includes an SPF of 25-30. Don’t forget the neck! And do not be fooled by the colder and rainier days. Sunscreen is a 365 day commitment!
4. MOISTURIZE HEAD-TO-TOE: This is essential. My trick is to do it within 3 minutes of water touching your face and body after cleansing. Getting your moisturizer on quickly after cleansing locks in the most amount of moisture and keeps your skin less thirsty.
5. WEEKLY FACE MASKS: I personally will try to stick to this goal. Think of it as a deep treatment for your pores, just like you might deep treat your hair with conditioner. It’s also like a mini spa day at home. Who doesn’t love that?!?
Not so bad, right? By making these small changes you can glow! How committed are you? I have a little trick…print this list out and pop it into a small decorative frame for the bathroom. You’re bound to follow rules that are always in sight!
I’m like a skin cleansing psychopath! Or so I thought! I came across a new cleansing staple and I’m never letting it go!
African Black Soap is my new favorite thing and total obsession. I decided to try it after I came across a YouTube video. This You Tuber has the most amazing flawless skin and mentioned that African Black Soap was the ONLY thing she used in the shower. Who would I be if I didn’t try it myself? I did and it was an instant win.
The current brand I’m using is Nubian Heritage. What’s great about this particular bar soap is the oats which makes the cleansing process extra special because of the exfoliation. You cannot lose. One tip, make sure you moisturize thoroughly after cleaning. African Black Soap wipes your skin CLEAN of everything! Even moisture! This type of clean is always worth a try!
My next round will be in it’s natural form. Nothing is better than NATURAL!