It’s true. I normally like to try different products and routines for my skin. I get too fascinated by new things and I love to explore. But I’ve been thinking; maybe the best thing for my skin, specifically my face and neck, is to simplify and be consistent. For the past couple of months I’ve tried to lessen the product usage at night and make it a simple yet strong routine without change. I think it’s been working and I want to share the love.
1. CLEANSE: Did you think I was going to mention something complicated? Of course we must cleanse! But there’s an order. Take the cleanser of choice (At the moment I’m consistently using Cetaphil which is gentle yet effective). Wash your face with warm water. Not hot, but warm enough. Warm water opens up your pores and allows you to get all of the dirt and grime out. So many environmental factors find their way to our skin on a daily basis. It’s important to remove it all thoroughly.
2. RINSE: This is my favorite part. For me it’s such an important step and I think it gets missed in many people’s regime. Every evening after cleansing, I rinse my face and neck with cold water. What the cold water does is close the pores and it creates this “firmness” that is oh so good! I honestly feel like I’m doing wonders for my skin when I rinse.
3. MOISTURIZE WITH NATURAL OIL: Yea I said it, OIL! I’ll give you three oils to choose from. Argan, Almond, or Jojoba. Those are my top three but please do your research and choose what’s right for you. We’re not just rubbing oil on our face. We’re moisturizing with love. Smooth your oil of choice in upward circular motions. In my opinion I’m fighting gravity by using this technique.
OPTIONAL YET EFFECTIVE ADDITIONAL STEPS:
1. FACE MAKEUP AND EYE MAKEUP REMOVAL: So we all do it right? Remove makeup with a makeup wipe. This is a totally optional step. It really depends on the amount of makeup/coverage you use daily. It varies for me but a pack of wipes needs to be in the bathroom at all times. For the eye: Smokey eye, winged liner, heavy mascara wearers beware! If you’re in one of the mentioned categories, do yourself a favor and get those lids clean.
2. EXFOLIATE: Exfoliating is great! Every now and then you need to give the face and neck a scrub. It doesn’t have to be every day; you can aim for once a week. If you’d like to include it as a daily routine, there are exfoliators and scrubs out there that are gentle enough for every day use.
3. CLAY AND SHEET MASKS: I LOVE MASKSSSSSSSSSSS! The only reason I didn’t put it on the above list is because it’s not a daily step for me. I usually tap into a good mask before an event, date, or when my skin is feeling thirsty. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE.
So there you have it. Super easy. Super effective. Super clean. Your skin will thank you and so will I. Remember, be consistent and be patient. Figure out what cleanser and what oil is right for you. Everyone’s skin behaves differently and it’s your responsibility to learn what’s best for your type and treat yourself with care.